Sunday, November 15, 2009

Strange pressed salad

Every time I buy a cabbage, I use part of it and the remainder sits in my fridge, asking me what I am going to do with it. Cilantro is supposedly a blood-purifier, and green onions are also really good for you . . . This tastes great, but only if you really like cilantro.

Cilantro-Chard Pressed Salad

Ingredients
1/4 cabbage, in ribbons
6 leaves red swiss chard, in ribbons (thick stems removed)
3 scallions, minced (white and green parts)
1 small bunch cilantro leaves, chopped
1 persian cucumber, very thinly sliced
salt
lemon juice
toasted sesame seeds

Instructions
Combine ingredients in a large bowl. Add a small amount of salt and mix, massaging vegetables until limp and shiny. Place a plate over vegetables and add weights; leave for several hours. Drain water and plump vegetables. Garnish with a small amount of lemon juice and sesame seeds before serving.

No comments: