Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Japanese-Style Curry

This curry--at least the way I made it--was pretty underwhelming.  I'm not sure why this surprised me; after all, I used frozen veggies, and just a pre-mixed curry powder.  That said, I'd be curious to experiment more with curries like this--ones that use ketchup and cornstarch, for example.

I used corn, peas, and chickpeas instead of potato, apple, and edamame.  I also added a chili, garlic, and ginger.


Japanese-Style Curry

Ingredients
olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 TB curry powder
 *
3 carrots, sliced

1 serrano chili, finely chopped
4 cloves minced garlic
1/2 TB minced ginger
*
l L water
2 c chickpeas
3 TB ketchup
1 TB miso
*
1/2 c corn
1/2 c peas
1 TB cornstarch

Instructions
1. In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil.  Over medium heat, saute onion and curry powder until onions are soft.
2. Add carrots, chili, garlic, and ginger, stir, and cook a few minutes.
3. Add the water, chickpeas, ketchup, and miso.  Stir, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
4. In a glass mix a little cold water with the cornstarch and add to curry.  Stir, continue cooking for few minutes until thickened, and serve with rice. Serves about 4.

No comments: