Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Fast Macro

I passed my exams!  I am officially masterful!  I can read for fun!  I can... plan Thanksgiving in the next two days?

While studying, I've been making a lot of very simple and fast dishes.  Here are two:

I remade Celeste's awesome mushroom-leek soup, adding edamame this time. However, it tasted bland and sad.  I realized that it's because I used TJ's low-sodium soy sauce, instead of the good tamari I usually keep on hand.  This soup is usually perfect, despite its simplicity, but the tamari you use apparently really makes a difference.

Mushroom Leek Soup with Edamame

Ingredients
3 TB olive oil
1 8 oz package white mushrooms, thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
1 large leek, trimmed, cleaned, and thinly sliced into half-moons (about 3 cups)
salt
4 c water
2 TB tamari, or to taste
1 c edamame (optional)

Instructions
1. In a soup pot, heat olive oil at medium-high heat and sautee mushrooms until they begin to sweat, about 3 minutes.
2. Add leeks and a pinch of salt, and sautee until leeks are translucent, about 8-10 minutes.
3. Add 4 cups of water, or just enough to cover vegetables, bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
4. Add tamari and edamame and simmer for 5 more minutes. Garnish with scallions, cilantro, or parsley.  Serves 4.

*

I never go out of my way to find broccoli rabe, but this week it appeared before me in the grocery store.  The little florets of broccoli, but the bitter leaves of watercress, yum.  I used Meyer lemons instead of regular ones by accident, but given the bitterness of the vegetable, it actually turned out great to have a little sweetness in the mix.

Broccoli Rabe with Garlic, Sesame, and Meyer Lemon 

Ingredients
oil
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 large bunch broccoli rabe, cleaned and trimmed
tamari
juice of 1/2 meyer lemon
sesame seeds

Instructions
Heat oil, saute garlic (3 min), then add broccoli rabe and cook until tender (10 min?).  Add a splash of tamari, stir, then turn off heat.  Add lemon juice and sesame seeds, and serve hot.

1 comment:

janet @ the taste space said...

Congrats on passing your exams! The soup looks so simple, yet so good. :)