Friday, July 26, 2013

Dumplings and beyond

I revisited the realm of the pierogi-wonton. Here I went for a more straightforwardly Asian (insert seven apologetic footnotes here) filling: garlic, scallions, mushrooms, tofu, greens, tamari, sesame oil, cinnamon, and cayenne. And, having learned my lesson, I pan-fried all of them. Leave that steaming to the pros! Pan-frying makes them beautifully crispy and chewy, and (most important) cohesive.


Pan-Fried Wontons with Mushrooms, Tofu, and Greens

*

I had a fair amount of filling left, and so I made it into a stroganoff. How, you ask? Well, I basically inserted the sauteed filling into this recipe for mushroom gravy: I added broth and flour and cooked until I had a thick, creamy mixture that I could toss with pasta. This was also delicious.


No comments: