Thursday, February 24, 2011

Spicy Coconut Lime Tofu

Recently I made this recipe for Spicy Coconut Lime Tofu from Bread without Butter, but instead of grilling I used the pan glazing method of this standby recipe for Orange Pan-Glazed Tofu/Tempeh.  Since I didn't have a long time to marinate the tofu, I thought that simmering the lightly fried tofu in the sauce might result in more flavor.  (By the way, due to the coconut milk and the chili paste, this was the weirdest looking marinade ever; it looked like melted strawberry ice cream with pieces of cilantro in it.  Which, come to think of it, actually sounds pretty great.)

I didn't have black bean garlic sauce, so I substituted miso paste to add saltiness and earthiness.




Spicy Coconut Lime Tofu
(adapted from bread without butter)

Ingredients
1/4 c brown rice vinegar
3 TB black bean garlic sauce (I used miso)
2 TB sambal oelek (I used chili-garlic paste)
1 1/4 c light coconut milk
1 TB agave nectar (I used honey)
1 tsp fresh ginger, slightly crushed
2 TB fresh cilantro, chopped
zest and juice of 1 lime
oil for pan-frying
19 oz firm or extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed (I used one package of firm tofu, which was actually 14 oz.)

Instructions
Combine all ingredients (except tofu and oil).  Cut tofu into small pieces.  Fry them in a skillet, flipping after a few minutes, until golden brown.  Pour in marinade, reduce heat, stir occasionally, flip occasionally, until most of the liquid is evaporated.  Serves 3-4.

No comments: