Sunday, January 13, 2013

Jamaican Jerk Tempeh

Janet's suggestion to my plea for more recipes that use Worcestershire was incredible. This marinade was tangy and savory and spicy all at once. I loved it.

I made a few simple changes: I sliced half of a serrano chili paper thin and sprinkled the rings over the baking dish. I also used onion powder rather than scallions for a less 'raw' taste. And the biggest difference, I baked the tempeh rather than pan-frying it after marinating. This way I missed out on a blackened or seared element, but I wanted to make sure the tempeh absorbed a lot of the marinade. The result was very succulent and very flavorful. I found it to be a little too vinegary, so (at least for this cooking method), I would reduce that. There was a lot of cooking liquid left after 40 minutes of baking, so I saved it and froze it; I'll try to use it again!


Jamaican Jerk Tempeh
(adapted from taste space)

Ingredients
1/2 c fresh orange juice
1/2 c white vinegar (or less--see above note)
1/4 c olive oil
2 TB tamari
1 TB vegan Worcestershire sauce
1 TB brown sugar
1 TB allspice
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 TB fresh minced ginger
3 large cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp Aleppo chili flakes
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 unseeded serrano chili, very thinly sliced in little rounds
8 oz tempeh, cut in half lengthwise and then into 1/2″ by 2″ strips

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350. In a baking dish, combine all the marinade ingredients and stir well. Add the tempeh strips in a single layer and ensure all of the tempeh is coated.
2. Place dish in oven and bake for 40 minutes, flipping tempeh at the halfway point (only if sauce is running low). Serves 3.

1 comment:

janet @ the taste space said...

Nice! So happy to hear it was a success. I like that you baked the tempeh I should try that next time. :)

I saw a chili recently that called for Worcestershire sauce and was going to make it this weekend but I got side tracked.. so perhaps next week. I'll let you know how it goes. :)