I found this recipe while desperately looking for something to do with bean sprouts besides another stir-fry. It is wonderful! I've never had a dish quite like this before. Simple, yet an explosion of flavors and textures.
The only changes I've made are to use more tofu and add some cilantro, and to omit the curry leaves (only because I didn't have any).
Braised Tofu and Bean Sprouts with Coconut Milk
(from veggie belly)
14 oz firm tofu
1 tablespoon oil
1/4 teaspoon black mustard seeds
pinch asafetida (optional)
1 green serrano chili, seeded and minced
1/4 tsp turmeric
4 c bean sprouts (about 8oz)
1/2 cup coconut milk
1. Drain the tofu, and gently pat it dry with an absorbent towel. Cut the tofu into ½ inch cubes and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a wok or large sauce pan. Add the mustard seeds and let them pop over medium heat.
3. Once they pop, throw in the chili and asafetida. Stir for about 30 seconds or till the chili starts to sizzle.
4. Sprinkle turmeric over the oil. Immediately add cubed tofu. Mix everything gently so the turmeric coats the tofu.
5. Cook the tofu on medium heat, flipping it around occasionally, till it is lightly browned on all sides. About 8 minutes.
6. Then add the bean sprouts, coconut milk, and salt. If you want more liquid, add more coconut milk. Cook just till the bean sprouts wilt a little – about 2 minutes. Toss in cilantro and serve hot or cold. Serves about 2.