Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Best cabbage dish of my life

I created dish in hopes of making the leftover lo mein from the previous post more interesting, but by the time I made it I'd eaten almost of the original dish.  I tried to go for some of the flavors that were missing from the lo mein: meaty, spicy, sweet, and vinegary/acidic.  Hence the mushrooms, the chili, and the sweet wine (btw... the bad news: pomegranate wine from Jon's tastes pretty bad / the good news: great for cooking!).

And this is so good!! The textures, the tastes... Who knew fried cabbage was one of the most delicious things on the planet?  I could eat this stuff from the tupperware like ice cream.  Ok, I did.  You could easily add tofu, too.

Stir-Fried Cabbage and Mushrooms

Ingredients

 canola oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 cabbage, shredded
1/2 lb button mushrooms, sliced
1/2 TB "rooster paste" (chili garlic paste-- or use fresh garlic and red pepper flakes)
medium splash tamari
very big splash pomegranate wine (or red wine + sugar)
 very small splash toasted sesame oil

Instructions
In large cast iron skillet, heat oil to medium high temperature.  Add onion, cabbage, and mushroom and saute for 10 minutes or until veggies release their juices and begin to brown.  Add chili paste, tamari, and wine, and allow liquid to cook off.  Turn off heat, and stir in a bit of sesame oil.  Serves about 4.

No comments: