Sunday, May 27, 2012

Armenian Potato Salad

So, I know I raved about this potato salad a few weeks ago, but this Armenian one--made for a dinner with my mom and some friends--was equally fantastic.  Horseradish mustard and celery seeds are swapped out in favor of lemon and dried mint.  I think this recipe, which I've had bookmarked forever, originally came from Simply Armenian.  Like most of the Armenian dishes I've made, its simplicity is part of its deliciousness.

It's important not to overcook the potatoes; remember that they will continue cooking even after you strain them and rinse them with cold water.

A few days after making this salad, I threw in some really ripe grape tomatoes.  Their sour juiciness went perfectly here.

Armenian Potato Salad
(from simply armenian)

Ingredients
1.5 lbs small waxy potatoes, quartered
3 scallions, finely chopped
1 large bunch parsley, finely chopped
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp dried mint
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 c lemon juice
1/4 c olive oil
cayenne to taste
grape tomatoes, halved (optional)

Instructions
1. Boil potatoes in salted water until just pokeable with a fork, perhaps 10-15 min.  Don't overcook them!  Strain and place in cold water.
2. Combine remaining ingredients, then strain potatoes and toss them in this dressing.  Allow to sit several hours to chill and for flavors to meld.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

how delicious!! i've never tried mint with potatoes but I bet it's wonderful! thanks for the recipe!