Thursday, September 30, 2010

Pistachio-Cardamom Shortbread Cookies

:Last night I made a test batch of the Pistachio-Cardamom Shortbread Cookies I read about on Holy Cow.  They were so good, I am going to make them again this weekend, perhaps twice!  I like how the recipe uses a combination of shortening and oil, splitting the difference between rich/buttery and cheaper/(?)healthier.

I didn't change much, but since I didn't have whole wheat pastry flour (which is more finely ground than regular whole wheat flour), I used a mix of whole wheat and white flours.  I also used more salt.  And, I needed to bake them a bit longer than asked for, even though I used non-insulated baking sheets and small cookies.

Edit 11/2/10: I used rosewater instead of plain water to mix with the cornstarch, and it was just the right amount--this is a yummy variation!

Pistachio-Cardamom Shortbread Cookies

Ingredients
1 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1 c white flour
1 tsp cardamom powder
1/3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
*
1/4 c (4 TB) zero-trans-fat vegetable shortening (I used earth balance)
1/2 c (8 TB) canola oil
2/3 c sugar
2 TB of cornstarch mixed well with 2 TB water (or 2 TB rosewater)
1 tsp vanilla extract
*
1 cup pistachio nuts, powdered fine in a food processor or spice grinder, and a few whole ones

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 350*.  Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Combine dry and wet separately.  Then, add dry to wet.  Then, mix in ground pistachios.
3. Form dough into 1-in balls.  Place on baking sheet; flatten slightly, then press a pistachio into each cookie.
4. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until cookies begin to brown.  Remove from oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes before moving from baking sheet.  Makes about 2-3 dozen.

1 comment:

Celeste said...

Yesss, I happen to have all of these ingredients in my pantry. I'm going to try these! Looks delicious.