Monday, November 8, 2010

Potato Hummus

My friends Myer and Arhia had a Halloween party, and they ran short on chickpeas while making hummus.  Mashed potato to the rescue!  I had to try this.  I totally forgot that I'd recently made hummus with squash, to many of the same effects.  Here, as there, the hummus was fluffier, and here it also had a subtle potato flavor.

I probably won't make this often, though, as potatoes, like cauliflower, tend to not be on my radar.  I can trace this back to my first year out of college, where I'd only buy the most obviously nutritious vegetables: broccoli, kale, spinach, and maybe a carrot.  I do know that potatoes and cauliflower have their own great things going on nutritionally... but my mental categorization of them as empty carbs (potato) or fiber (cauliflower) is quite strong.


Potato Hummus
Follow recipe for basic hummus, but substitute boiled/baked mashed potatoes for up to half the chickpeas.

No comments: