Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Chili Corn Salsa

The fact that my neighborhood is so quiet tonight makes me wonder if Cinco de Mayo is a bit like St. Patrick's day, or lutefisk: bigger and more exaggerated in the U.S. than in the home country (pay no attention to the lack of parallelism behind the sentiment...). Nevertheless, I thought I'd make something very vaguely Mexican-inspired: a throwback to my ascetic Chicago days when I mostly ate leftovers from work or steamed veggies and rice. Though my standards are higher these days, spicy corn is still delicious. It makes me wonder what other kinds of salsas I could make. Oh, and I put this in some sort of haphazard taco-nacho-salad thing:




After I put this salsa together, I realized there was a reason I just happened to have all the ingredients on hand.  Amanda and I had made a mint-cilantro chutney last weekend that just happened to use lime juice, cilantro, and onion (and cumin!).  I should have just stirred corn into the leftover chutney!  Which reminds me... I need to go to this restaurant.



Chili Corn Salsa

Ingredients

12 oz froz corn, thawed
1/4 onion of any type, very finely diced
1/4 bell pepper (optional)
½-1 green jalapeno, very finely diced (I used a serrano pepper this time and had to be careful!)
lots of cilantro, chopped
juice of one lime
sea salt to taste

Instructions
Combine ingredients (lime juice and salt to taste). Let sit before eating.

No comments: