Saturday, July 9, 2011

Pomegranate-Apple Chutney/Salad

I made this dish to go with the red lentil fritters I recently posted about. I wanted something that would balance out the fritters' textural heaviness, and tasteural umaminess. This recipe was bright-tasting and crunchy, not too sweet. I liked it, but it wasn't really a chutney so much as a weird little fruit salad.

I guess it's too late in the year for pomegranates, because I couldn't find them anywhere, and in LA, that's really saying something.  TJ's did have this packaged kind... for almost $5!!  Give me a break.  No way was I buying two of those, so pomegranate chutney became pomegranate-apple chutney... which made it even less of a chutney.






In addition to subbing in some peeled and diced apple, I also skipped the honey in the original recipe (it's fruit--how much sweeter does it need to be?!), and added a little cinnamon and cumin for interest.  The salt and the olive oil also make it pair well with savory dishes.





 Pomegranate-Apple Chutney/Salad

Ingredients
seeds of 1 pomegranate
1 apple, peeled, cored, and diced
1 tsp lemon zest
1 TB olive oil
1 1/2 TB orange juice
dash of salt

Instructions
Combine all ingredients and mix well. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours prior to serving.  Serves about 4.

No comments: