Saturday, December 18, 2010

Parsnips and More

I was surprised to learn that a parsnip was just an anemic carrot.  It made me think of Bunnicula, a children's book series about--well, what it sounds like it's about.

I roasted the parsnips, and they were pretty good, but I didn't get a decent photo of the dish.  I was thinking about the carrots-with-brown-sugar combo, but with a more Asian bent to them.  You could do this with any root veggie, really; I bet daikon would work well, or carrots or beets or turnips, etc.

Roasted Parsnips with Miso and Ginger

Ingredients
parnips, washed and cut into small spears (other root veggies would also be good)
olive oil
ginger, grated
garlic, minced
seasoned rice vinegar
tamari
brown rice syrup
miso
more olive oil 

Instructions
Preheat the oven to a high temperature.  Lightly oil a small baking dish with olive oil.
Put parsnips in baking dish.  Combine remaining ingredients separately before pouring over vegetables and tossing to mix.
Roast in the oven until vegetables are soft and (hopefully) ever so slightly browned on the outside (30 min?).

*

I also made a stir fry that doesn't really warrant a recipe post, but it did remind me how before I had this (self-given) imperative to try new recipes and post about them, I basically ate variations on this dish every day.  And it's really hard to beat the combination of flavors and textures.  Here, the tamari carmelizes a little bit, and the lemon juice balances the tamari out (and makes the broccoli taste really good).

Stir fry short-hand recipe: 1) canola; 2) onion, bell pep; 3) garlic, tofu; 4) steamed broccoli; 5) tamari, lemon juice, toasted sesame oil, sesame seeds.

No comments: