Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Dandelion Greens Pesto

I know dandelion greens are like the healthiest edible thing to ever grow, but sometimes I find them a bit too much to handle. I had a big bunch languishing in my fridge, and I just couldn't force myself to saute them with garlic and tamari yet again. So, after considering a few other recipes, I decided to make pesto, inspired by this recipe from the kitchn. I used raw cashews instead of roasted pumpkin seeds and nutritional yeast instead of parmesean, and I had to add a bit of water to get it to blend properly, but in no time I had this satisfactory (if slightly bitter) creamy pesto. It tastes very much like the nasturtium pesto I once made, though this one has more nuts and is therefore richer. Also: I just took my leftover chimichurri sauce out of the freezer and used it as pesto with pasta, and that was great too! I love basil, but it's not the only option here.



Dandelion Greens Pesto
(adapted from the kitchn)

Ingredients
3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked and drained
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup nutritional yeast (optional)
1 bunch dandelion greens (about 2 cups, loosely packed)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
black pepper, to taste

Instructions

Pulse the garlic and cashews together in the bowl of a food processor until very finely chopped.

Add nutritional yeast, dandelion greens, and lemon juice and process continuously until combined. Stop the processor every now and again to scrape down the sides of the bowl. The pesto will be very thick and difficult to process after awhile. Add some water if needed.

With the blade running, slowly pour in the olive oil and process until the pesto is smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Makes about 1-1.5 cups.

No comments: