Saturday, August 7, 2010

Chai

This is something you can make when you're like, I want to keep making interesting things but I have too many leftovers!  Or, when you're like, I would like some chai.


Compared to the average chai you'd find in a coffeeshop in the US, the recipe for chai in Indian Home Cooking leans more heavily upon cardamom and ginger, and less upon cinnamon and vanilla (though I added some vanilla).  As a result, you have more zingy brightness rather than just cloyingly sweet pumpkin-pie juice.  (oh, cardamom, you are so magic and, like fennel, queer). 

Obviously, though, you can do whatever you want with this recipe!  I'd like to try this with significantly more black pepper--yum!  The real difference is that you boil everything together and let it steep 15 minutes before serving.  A little bit of sugar brings out the spices, but I thought 1 TB was more than enough--then again, I don't really like sweet drinks, so do it to taste.


Chai (Iced)

Ingredients
2 c nondairy milk (I used soy)
1 c water
1 1/2 TB loose black tea
a 1 1/2-in piece cinnamon stick, broken in half
9 green cardamom pods, slightly opened/crushed
7 whole cloves
a 1 1/2-in piece ginger, peeled and dived
6 black peppercorns
small splash vanilla extract
1 TB sugar (or to taste)

Instructions
Boil everything in a pot, then turn it off, cover, and let steep for 15 minutes.  Then, strain and reheat or serve over ice.  Serves 4-5.

2 comments:

Alex said...

FYI - Our friend Samir once told me that he makes chai every morning with breakfast. You should also check out my friend Talley's food blog post about chai: http://www.houseboateats.com/2009/10/spicy-chai.html. xoxo

Julia said...

Orange peel and star anise?! That sounds great. I forgot how pretty your friend's blog is.