Friday, June 3, 2011

Chickpeas and Edamame with Greens and Shiitakes

Oh hey, another recipe from the taste space.

Oh hey, Trader Joe's sells frozen shelled edamame for absurdly cheap!  This was like 4 c for $1.50 or something.

I finally remembered to use my kombu when making chickpeas.  I think, though, that I need to conduct a controlled experiment to see whether it actually makes legumes more digestible.  But it certainly adds a bit of flavor...

I have to go a bit out of my way to get shiitake mushrooms, so I usually just stick with button, crimini, or portobello, but making this recipe with actual shiitakes reminded me of how awesome their texture is.

In adapting this recipe, I did use nori instead of dulse (because that's what I had).

I also used (pre-steamed) kale instead of watercress, and skipped the snow peas.  A recipe like this one is clearly endlessly adaptable.  What's important is the mixture of the bright and tangy flavors (ginger, lime juice) and the super duper umami ones (mushrooms, tamari).


Chickpeas and Edamame with Greens and Shiitakes
(from taste space)

Instructions
1 TB olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 tsp salt
2 c shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and caps thinly sliced
1 TB fresh grated ginger
1.5 c edamame
1 TB dulse granules (I used half a sheet of chopped up nori)
1 TB tamari or soy sauce
2 c cooked chickpeas, drained (cooking water reserved)
1/2 c cold water
1 TB cornstarch (optional)
1 bunch kale, de-stemmed, roughly chopped, and steamed
juice of 1-2 limes
sesame seeds

Instructions
1. Saute the onion in the oil on medium heat until it starts to turn translucent. Add the salt, mushrooms, and ginger and continue cooking for 5 minutes. Stir in the edamame, sea veg, soy sauce, and chickpeas. Cook for a few minutes.
2. In a separate bowl dissolve the cornstarch in some cold water, then pour the mixture into the pan with the beans. Stir in the greens and cook until they has wilted. Remove from heat and add lime juice before serving, mix well.  Serve over a bed of brown rice or quinoa.  Serves 4-6.

1 comment:

janet @ the taste space said...

Hey Julia,

Love your rendition of this! I have discovered how easy it is to through in a handful of edamame into any dish once you have some preshelled ones in the freezer. It doesn't hurt that they taste so good, too. :)