Monday, February 22, 2010

Broiled Veggies

Oh man.  Why haven't I been doing this often and forever?

I am unbelievably busy these days (hence the few and far between, easy posts).  Between the visitors to LA, the school commitments, and my own travel, I've barely been cooking, much less blogging.  Today I decided to prepare for the week / procrastinate by broiling some veggies that I can just throw into salads or sandwiches.  And why haven't I done this before?

I did eggplant, a green bell pepper, and some zucchini.  The flesh of the eggplant and zucchini turned out melt-in-your-mouth, almost buttery, while the eggplant skin was nicely chewy.  The pepper--blistered and succulent--wasn't bad, either.

Broiled Eggplant

Ingredients
eggplant, zucchini, bell peppers, portobellos, etc. (about the equivalent of 2 medium eggplants), cut in 1/2-in slices
salt
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
4-6 TB olive oil

Instructions
1) If using eggplant, salt it and let it sit until water comes out of it.
2) Place garlic and olive oil in a largish bowl.  Dip vegetable slices in garlic-oil so that they are covered on both sides.
3) Place vegetable slices on a metal rack that is in a baking sheet (or, place on a grill).  Broil for 8-10 min, total, turning after about 4 minutes.  Watch carefully so that the vegetables don't burn.  Serve warm or at room temperature, over rice, or in a salad, or on a sandwich.  Serves at least 4.

No comments: