Friday, March 14, 2014

Roasted Vegetable Ribollita

Janet's roasted vegetable ribollita had been in my bookmarks for ages, and when I got down to making it, I realized I didn't have any white beans. Blackeyed peas it was. I cooked them with a bay leaf, some tamari, and a strip of kombu, and they were ready to go.

I didn't have a bell pepper, fennel, or zucchini, so I added potatoes instead. It would be nice to have the fennel flavor in the broth, though. For the Turkish red pepper paste, I used the "Ajika" I've posted about before--I think it's probably pretty similar.

Overall, the soup tasted a bit sweet--I think it was all the carrots and the ajika--which was a little strange. It may also have been my homemade vegetable stock. I'm about ready to give up on homemade stock for a while. That said, the roasted head of garlic with coconut oil was AMAZING and I'm going to use it in everything, not just this soup.


Roasted Vegetable Ribollita
(adapted from taste space)

Instructions
1 head garlic (12 cloves)
2 large carrots, chopped
3 yukon gold potatoes, in 1-in cubes
1 onion, chopped
1 portobello mushroom, stemmed and chopped
1 TB coconut oil
1.75 c cooked blackeyed peas, divided, reserving any cooking liquid
4 c vegetable broth and/or reserved bean liquid
1 TB tomato paste
2 TB Turkish red pepper paste (or more tomato paste)
3 c sliced green cabbage (300g)

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 425F. 
2. Chop off the top of the head of the garlic, add a touch of coconut oil, season with salt and pepper and wrap tightly in aluminum foil.  In a large silpat-lined baking pan (I used a 9×13 glass baking dish), combine potatoes, carrot, onion, and mushrooms. Dab coconut oil over the top of the veggies, place in oven to allow it to melt, then stir into the veggies. Season with salt and pepper, cover with foil and roast for 40 minutes, stirring half-way through. Remove foil and continue to roast another 10 minutes, to allow the vegetables to brown.
3. Meanwhile, reserve half of the beans and set aside. Add the other half of the beans to a food processor and puree until smooth.
4. In a large pot, add pureed beans, vegetable broth, tomato paste, red pepper paste and beans. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and allow to simmer. Once your roasted vegetables are ready add them to the pot. Remove cloves of roasted garlic and smush to make a puree. Add this to the soup as well. Add the cabbage and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
5. Season with salt and pepper and serve warm. Serves about 6.

No comments: