Saturday, November 8, 2014

Ful Mudammas

i want to lay you down on a bed of parsley
for tonight, i sleep on a bed of kale

Uh, hello. Parsley makes everything prettier. I made this ful because I found a bag of dried favas at the back of my cupboard. And maybe also because I miss my brother, who lives in Egypt and eats a lot of ful. Other than "it was pretty good," I have two important things to report:
1) Peeling fava beans is SO much work. Why would anyone do this so long as there were chickpeas, or lentils, or black-eyed peas available? Yes, it is easier if you soak overnight, then peel, then finish cooking. But not as easy as chickpeas... 
2) The taste and texture of this ful really reminded me of tuna salad. Now, maybe I'm at the point of vegandementia where it's been a good 10 years since I actually had tuna salad and maybe I just don't remember. But I think this would be really good with a little bit of nori and a little bit of finely chopped celery.

Ful Mudammas
(from tori avey)

ingredients
2 cups (16 oz.) cooked or canned fava beans
Extra virgin olive oil
1/2 onion, minced
2 raw or 4 roasted garlic cloves, chopped
1 tsp cumin
1/2 cup water
Salt and black pepper to taste
Juice from 2 fresh lemons (or more to taste)

instructions
Blend.

No comments: