Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Berbere-encrusted Tempeh

Ok, so I know this looks a lot like the last recipe I've posted, but the cooking method, the flavors, and the texture are all completely different.  Because the original Tempeh Bacon recipe called for 2/3 a package of tempeh, I had this leftover chunk in my fridge, making me nervous that it would go moldy at any moment (that's the weird thing about tempeh: in a sealed package, it lasts for months, but once exposed to the air, it goes off really quickly).  And, as I am accumulating all these unusual homemade spice mixes--berbere, garam masala, chili powder, zatar--I should probably try to use them.

A spice mix makes for instant yumminess!  This recipe was beyond easy, and incredibly flavorful.  If you use the berbere recipe I made, watch out--it will be spicy.  The outside gets nice and crispy; the only thing is that the inner part of the tempeh was a bit dry.  You could steam the tempeh first, or just do what I did and mash some avocado on it to moisten the overall effect.

Berbere-Encrusted Tempeh

Ingredients
8 oz tempeh
2-3 TB berbere
2-3 TB olive oil
2 tsp garlic powder
more oil

Instructions
Cut tempeh into three pieces, and then slice each third the other direction to make it half as thick.
Mix berbere, olive oil, and garlic powder into a paste.  Dredge each chunk of tempeh in it to coat on both sides.
Place chunks on an oiled baking sheet and broil on high, flipping once, until sizzling and browned (about 5 min on each side).  Serve hot.  Makes 3 servings.

No comments: