Friday, May 21, 2010

Meyer Lemon Tofu

You may notice on the main photo below that the light is different.  Well, the sun has finally moved far enough north that I get western/afternoon light through my north-facing window.

Yes indeed, things are changing!  I'm moving in two weeks.  I'm three posts away from the big one hundred on this blog.  And, I'm sortof catering this weekend for the first time, for this deal... anyway, there's no time like the present, and the spring, to embrace weird local foods.  Like Meyer lemons.  I vaguely remember being freaked out in like, 1994, by my uncle Peter in the bay area, when he was eating lemons from his backyard.  Turns out, they're not sour.

This is a simple recipe with an interesting mix of flavors, colors, and textures.  I used dandelion greens, a choice I would not recommend: between the lemons (you even eat the rinds) and the greens, it was too bitter.  Maybe spinach would be better here.  Also, there was definitely not enough oil.  I changed "2 tsp" to "2 TB" and you probably will want more if you are going to brown the tofu on all four sides.  However, seeing as you deglaze the pan at the end, it's ok if the tofu gets a bit dry and stuck to the bottom; it will all come off at the end, and you get more chewy texture that way.



Meyer Lemon Tofu
(adapted from Seaweed Snacks)

Ingredients
5 TB seasoned rice vinegar
1 1/2 TB tamari
2 TB toasted sesame seed oil
*
2-3 TB canola oil
1 block of tofu
2 small meyer lemons
1 1/2 cups onions sliced thin (I used the white parts of scallions)
1 bunch of greens roughly chopped (I used dandelion greens)

Instructions
1. Cut tofu into 2 inch or slightly smaller pieces. Pat dry with a towel and set aside. Patting the tofu dry will help it sear and brown.
2. Cut onions into thin slices and set aside
3. Wash and trim greens; pat dry.
4. Slice meyer lemons into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices.
5. In a very hot wok or pan (I used a saucepan), add 2 TB of canola oil. When wok is very hot and oil starts to dance around, add tofu and cover wok. Stir tofu every minute or so, allowing each side of the tofu to brown and sear. After about 8 minutes, add the onions, lemons and sauce. Cover again for a minute and then stir the tofu, vegetables and sauce until onions start to brown, are wilted and the sauce has evaporated (about 7 minutes). Add chard and stir in. This will help it start to wilt. After the chard juices have evaporated (less than 2 minutes), serve.  Serves at least 4.

1 comment:

Rebelfemme said...

That looks delicious! I am definitely going to have to try it, and seeing that I have a meyer lemon tree in the backyard, that's even better!