Thursday, February 3, 2011

Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese Sproutwheels

I think this recipe from Sketch-Free Vegan Eating is really creative, and it looks pretty.  Something about the texture of carrot, though, made the "salmon" part of the dish seem pretty dubious.  If I made this again, I would significantly tweak what went into these pastes, but I love the idea.  And yes, those are sword toothpicks.

Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese Sproutwheels

Ingredients
2 sprouted grain tortillas
sprouts (I used alfalfa)
*
Vege-lox:
1 c carrot juice pulp (I used finely grated carrot)
2 TB olive oil
1 TB  lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
2 TB dulse flakes (I used chopped nori)
1/4 tsp liquid smoke
1/4 c finely chopped red onion
1/4 c finely chopped parsley
*
Cream Cheese:
3/4 c cashews, soaked
1 TB lemon juice
1 TB water
1 TB olive oil
1/2 tsp salt

Instructions
1. For each of the two sub-recipes, combine all ingredients in a food process and process until combined (obviously, take one out before making the other one). Taste and adjust condiments as necessary.
2. Trim 2 sprouted grain tortillas so that they are more squareish (I split the difference between getting a perfect square and wasting tortilla).  Warm the tortillas (they must be warm or else it will be difficult to roll), then spread a layer of cream cheese, and then spread on vegelox.  Next layer any kind of sprout (I used alfalfa), and roll. Once rolled, cut into 1 inch thick slices and secure with toothpick. Makes 12-14 pinwheels.

Oh, look, an onion.

No comments: