Thursday, November 10, 2011

Squash Saute with Chickpeas and Cilantro

Let's say you picked up a ton of Mexican squash at the grocery store, and then your friends who were going out of town unloaded still more squash from their CSA box.  What to do?  I started thinking about sort of Southwestern flavors because I saw this recipe for squash and beans but ended up going in a different direction than that recipe.

Basically, I prepared these squashes the way I might do black beans, and then I added some chickpeas for protein.  But squash has so much water in it that the dish turned out a little bland and diffuse.  I added a bit of cornstarch to thicken the dish, but what was really missing was a creamier/yeastier/nuttier flavor that black beans would have contributed themselves.  I ended up amping up my leftovers with chili-garlic paste. 

Squash Saute with Chickpeas and Cilantro

Ingredients
2 tsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic
1/4 tsp allspice
1 tsp cumin
red pepper flakes to taste
4 small Mexican squashes, or 2-3 zucchinis
1 can chickpeas
1/2 can diced tomatoes
oregano to taste
salt to taste
1 tsp cornstarch, mixed with a bit of cold water (optional)
lime juice to taste
chopped cilantro

Instructions
Heat oil in a large frying pan.  Saute onion several minutes, then add garlic and spices.  After a few minutes, add squash as well and saute until the squash is slightly soft.  Stir in the chickpeas, tomatoes, oregano, and salt, and simmer about 5 minutes.  Thicken with cornstarch if desired, then remove from heat.  Stir in lime juice and cilantro, and adjust salt and chili to taste.  Serves about 3.

* 

It rained.  Then it stopped.  Then the sun set.

No comments: