Thursday, January 19, 2012

Pumpkin Chili

This chili recipe was a great surprise.  Adding pumpkin puree sounded a little odd to me, but as it wasn't a ton, I think it just made the chili creamier and added a slight sweetness.

In adapting this recipe from Janet's blog, I used bulghur instead of TVP.  I may also have fudged some of the measurements, as I was just throwing in cans of stuff.  I'd forgotten how easy chili is to make!  Like any chili, this recipe is pretty flexible, but the smoked paprika was fantastic, so I wouldn't skip that.  I like my food pretty spicy these days, and I thought 2 jalapenos and 3 TB of a pretty spicy chili powder weren't all that hot, but more heat-sensitive palates might proceed with caution.  I also changed up some of the method, and added more stock for the lentils and bulghur to absorb.

While this was stewing, I whipped up some cornbread from the recipe in the Bittman Bible.  I used soymilk+vinegar for buttermilk, flaxseed+water for egg, and canola oil instead of butter.  It's gotten to the point that these substitutions are almost automatic.



Pumpkin Chili
(adapted from taste space)

Instructions
3 TB olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, diced
2 small jalapenos, finely chopped
28 oz canned whole tomatoes, undrained
2 tomatoes, diced
2 TB tomato paste
4-5 c vegetable broth
2 TB lemon juice
2 cans cooked beans (or prepared dried equivalent)
1/2 c uncooked lentils
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
3 TB chili powder, or to taste
1 can pumpkin puree
1/2 c bulghur wheat
1-2 tsp sea salt, to taste

Instructions
1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat oil and sauté the onions, adding the garlic and jalapenos a few minutes later.  Cook until the onions become translucent.
2. Add the canned and fresh tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, and lemon juice.  Increase the heat to bring to a boil. Once boiling, add the beans, lentils, cinnamon, paprika, and chili powder, then cover, reduce heat to the lowest setting and let simmer for at least two hours, stirring occasionally.
3. After two hours, mix in the pumpkin puree, bulghur, and salt. Let simmer, uncovered, for an additional 15 minutes, or until the chili thickens.  Serves 6-8.

1 comment:

janet @ the taste space said...

Looks great, Julia! Bulgur is a lovely TVP sub. I was also surprised at how lovely it was. :)