Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Stroganoff (?) + Burger (?)

This stroganoff is one of the best things I've had this month.  I suppose it's not too different from this earlier recipe I made, though I wasn't going off of it as I did this one.  I learned a few things from this dish: first, cooking with wine is so great.  I don't like drinking it, but using a splash in place of tamari or stock allows you to a) add liquid (which can be essential to cooking things the way you want) without adding salt and b) add a completely different flavor which changes the other flavors, blah blah... I know you know these things.  But here it was amazing.  Also, I recently realized that adding flour to thicken dishes need not be so stressful; I have often worried about not whisking quickly enough and getting chunks/dumplings.  But if (just like with cornstarch) you mix the flour with a bit of cold water first and then add it, it's foolproof.  I have no idea why recipes direct you any other way.

I also made stir-fried dandelion greens with this.  Here, too, wine was really helpful, because the greens are so tough that they need to stew a little in extra liquid that cooks off, rather than just quickly fry.  These were cooked with garlic, tamari, white wine, and red pepper flakes. 

Tempeh-Mushroom Stroganoff

olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
pinch salt
lots of mushrooms, sliced
1 block tempeh, cut into small cubes or crumbled
1-1.5 c white wine
1 c stock
fresh rosemary
fresh thyme
dried sage
red pepper flakes
3 TB flour, mixed with 1/2 c water

1. Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan.  Saute onion several minutes, then add garlic and a pinch of salt; cook several minutes more.  Add mushrooms and tempeh and cook until mushrooms have released their liquid, then deglaze with the wine.  Add stock as well.
2. Bring pot to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer.  Add herbs and red pepper flakes.  Cook about 15 minutes, uncovered.  Then add the flour-water mixture.  Simmer until everything thickens.  Serve hot with noodles.  Serves about 4.


These Harissa Lentil Fritters froze and thawed quite well!


txurrosytxocolate said...

Whaa? Not.. like.. drinking.. wine? Why??

Julia said...

Haha... I know! I even lost my aversion to olives and tomatoes (the last holdouts), but I still really dislike wine. Which, given how much I adore beer, is probably ok for my liver's sake.