Sunday, January 19, 2014

crepes, hash browns, brunch, brunch

The past month or so has been a brunchy one. While I still can't make roasted potatoes right, no matter how hard I try, there have been some other successes, largely out of the Vegan Brunch cookbook.

We did crepes. Sweet fillings and savory fillings. Followed the recipe to the letter, and when I added 3 TB of liquid too much, it stopped working! Sometimes it pays to trust in what other people have already tested. In the sweet crepes with cashew cream cheese, we actually used leftover cranberry sauce I found in the freezer from Thanksgiving, which I really liked because it wasn't very sweet.







And the same cookbook has a brilliant little recipe for individual baked hash browns in a muffin tin. These actually turned out better than when I've made them on the stove--really nice and crispy on the outside without being burned, and fully cooked on the inside! I added extra oil because the headnote talked about how much healthier these were than usual, but don't do it! Mine were actually a bit too greasy. A really well-tested recipe, once again.





And one more brunch with pancakes from Vegan Brunch, roasted mushrooms, pan-fried potatoes, and fresh-squeezed juice.



No comments: