Friday, March 9, 2012

Apricot Rugelach

When I worked at the Angel Food Bakery years ago in Chicago, my favorite thing we sold was apricot rugelach.  This was my first attempt at a vegan version.


I had never before in my life bought vegan cream cheese, which has a few too many ingredients for my tastes.  Still, since Trader Joe's came out with their own (much cheaper than Tofutti) house brand, I thought I'd give it a try just once.



Following the recipe in The Joy of Vegan Baking, I cut chunks of shortening and cream cheese into the dough, which I then chilled.  Later, I rolled it out before spreading a layer of jam and then a layer of chopped dates, walnuts, and cinnamon on it.  Cut like a pizza, then rolled up into cute little horn-shaped cookies.




2 comments:

singerinkitchen said...

YUMMY! Lovely recipe.

Deb said...

And I can vouch, from personal rugelach in mouth experience, that these were AMAZING!!!